Thursday, May 3, 2007

Going Home!

Well, I am happy to announce that I am going home! Back to Glorious India. I am leaving the unimaginative and cold land of the US of A and going home to hot, dusty and colourful India. Even if it is just for two months. I can hardly wait. Of course I have to shopping cos I want to get my friends something from here, but shopping for friends is pure pleasure. A labour of love indeed. Unlike shopping for relatives, who give you a list of things when they hear that you are going home. Some relatives, like my Pinni are so great that I don't mind shopping for them. But others are just too much. Anyways, I am not about to let those people spoil my fun.
Apart from looking forward to the shopping, I am aslo looking forward to the food at home. Now that I have been cooking regularly (albeit reluctantly) for six months or so, I have a newfound respct for Moms. I get all bothered and flustered when I have to cook some Dal and Subzi once a day. Moms did that for years, and did it three times a day. Made something for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And on weekends, snacks with tea too. They are simply amazing poeple. And they made such YUMMY food too.
How can I forget the coffee at home? Mom's signature blend of Peaberry, Plantation and Chicory, freshly roasted and ground used to fill the whole house with its aroma as it percolated in the filter. If I close my eyes, I swear I can almost smell it again. Ah! I just can't wait to be home...sung in the tune of Lion King's "I just can't wait to be king". Oh, I just can't wait to be home....

No comments: