Sunday, January 27, 2008

Hunting is not a sport. It is murder!

I can understand why the cave man went out hunting. He had to find food. And I am sure that along with hunting, the cave man also gathered - berries and fruits and all that veggie stuff. What I can't understand is how man has made a sport of hunting poor defenceless animals. And how man can take pleasure in killing another magnificent creation of nature? This rant is because of a programme I saw on TV last week. The channel in question is VS and they have featured programmes on hunting and fishing. The episode I happened to be watching was one in which some misbegotten idiot wanted to achieve his lifelong ambition of killing a bear. Why was I watching? It was some kind of horrified fascination and a fervent hope that the bear would somehow escape. I was destined for disappointment as far as my hope was concerned. The bear was killed, and he died an agonisingly slow death due to a punctured lung. Why is this sport? Men go in armed with rifles and bullets, and the bear only has his claws and teeth for his defence. How is this fair? How can this be thrilling? Of course, I admit that walking into the jungle, tracking a beautiful animal like a bear is thrilling. My question is, wouldn't it be better if we shot a bear with a camera and not a rifle? What right do these men think they have, to kill another animal for sport? The episode I watched was heartbreaking and enraging at the same time. These idiots hide in camouflage till they spot a bear who unfortunately walks into shooting range. The bear who was killed (murdered) was a beautiful black bear in his prime. He probably had many more years of living, mating and creating little adorable bear cubs which of course would turn into big bears like their papa bear. Alas, this was not to be. The idiot shot the bear while the bear was doing his bear thing of searching for food. He shot the bear somewhere near the shoulder. The wounded bear ran off into the jungle to hide and lick his painful wound. What enraged me was, if they were "brave" enough to shoot an poor, defenceless unsuspecting bear, they should have been brave enough to follow it and end it's suffering. But no, satisfied that the bear was mortally wounded, they went back to their warm camp bed, sure that the poor fellow would die during the night and they could "recover" the dead animal in the morning. They did recover it in the morning; death resulted from internal bleeding and a punctured lung. The poor thing literally "drowned" in its own blood. What a painful death. These "brave" hunters did not have the guts to kill an animal outright. These "brave sportsmen" do not have the courage to face a bear, look it in the eye and kill it. No, these freaks who burden this earth hide behind camouflage and shoot animals and let them die an agonisingly slow death are cowards of the first order. They are a blight on the face of this earth. They are not sportsmen. They are soulless creatures who murder in cold blood. They deserve an end like they mete out and hopefully they will get it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great article. it really helped me for my essay :D

Anonymous said...

I happen to hunt but not like this. I hunt turkey and deer because i can use the meat as deer meat is really hard to find in stores and the turkey feathers and deer skin help to make traditional items. Hunters have never really just walked up to an animal, looked it in the eye and killed it. That's how you would starve. Hunting a bear for sport or hunting for pure sport is really sad. When i hunt i could care less if i fill my tag or not. I would never kill predator animals except in self defense. I'm truly sorry you had to witness something as dishonorable as that and i hope you do not think badly of all hunters because of it.

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't eat meat, ever, because they way animals are kept and killed in commercial factories is far worse than a bear getting shot.

Protip: If you don't like hunting, don't watch shows about it. It matters not that you are "outraged" about the sport of hunting, because it IS a sport, regardless of what you say.

tl;dr You can't deal with real life.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree!! I hope hunters will fail in life, and do something other than murder.

Anonymous said...

Why aren't more people outraged by hunting? Why is hunting a poor innocent animal just casually accepted by most people as ok. What gives us the right to end another beings life just because we want to eat a certain type of food that day? Hunters are cowards who just wanna kill something, and animals are the only thing they can get away with. Call me weird but I've never wanted to kill anything, ever. I find it sick that so many people do. Hunters are cowards. Ted Nugent shit his pants for a week, to get out of being drafted because they thought he was crazy. So he get's to stay home and kills tons of innocent animals for fun. See what I mean by cowards?